Secure Funding and Demonstrate Credibility Through Marketing
Every DMO, Heritage Area, municipality and tourism-related non-profit has one major thing in common — the need for funding to complete projects and attract visitors to those amenities. Many of these organizations are responsible for assets that highlight the very character of their community — amenities that make a place appealing to visit, start or move a business, or live in.
From the development (or redevelopment) of buildings to increased tourism efforts or capital campaign management, finding donors or grant funds is crucial for project success. But how do you find these prospects or funding agencies to make major contributions to your project? Equally important, how do you prove to those prospects that your cause is worthy and likely to succeed with their help?
A comprehensive marketing strategy is key to finding the donors and foundations you need to get your project off the ground. What most don’t realize, however, is how important that strategy is for landing those funds once you’ve identified them. Showing funders you have a plan to attract end users adds a layer of legitimacy to the hard work you’re doing. Over the course of this session, attendees will be introduced to the idea of using a marketing strategy to prove sustainability and credibility, how to incorporate this strategy into your grant applications and more.
- Reviewing a Heritage Tourism Marketing Strategy and how it can be connected to funding goals
- Determining your funding goals and plans to reach them
- Low hanging fruit — Identifying small wins you’ve already achieved and assets to include in your marketing plan
- What are donors looking for? What are granting institutions looking for?
- Merging the offline and the online to show capacity and innovation with your strategy; show your funders your willingness to go to where they are (digital/traditional/multigenerational/etc.)